Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Crete's Sonio Beach: Que Bella Collection Paradise Found!

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Crete's Sonio Beach: Que Bella Collection Paradise Found!

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into the sun-drenched, bougainvillea-draped, and potentially slightly chaotic world of Sonio Beach: Que Bella Collection Paradise Found! in Crete. Forget polished, pre-packaged travel brochures. This is the real deal – a warts-and-all, sunburnt-nose review that’s gonna hit you harder than a shot of raki after a day at the beach.

First Impressions (and a Slight Panic Attack):

Let's be honest, getting there is an adventure in itself. The airport transfer (thankfully, they offer it, and yes, it's a lifesaver after the flight) was a bit… let's say "spirited." Our driver, bless his heart, drove like a Greek god descended on a Vespa. But hey, arriving at Sonio Beach is like stumbling upon a hidden oasis. The lobby? Gorgeous. Think crisp whites, breezy linens, and enough sunlight to power a small city. The first "wow" moment is definitely a win.

Accessibility: A Mixed Bag, Honestly

Okay, this is important. Sonio Beach claims to be accessible, and they have facilities for disabled guests that, from my research, seem decent (elevator, etc.). But, and it's a big but, things in Greece (and especially some hotels), often say accessible but aren't truly accessible. I would advise you to call and ask very specific questions about wheelchair access to different areas, including the beach, the pool, certain restaurants. Don't just take their word for it. Double-check. Triple-check. Get specifics. Be that person. Better safe than stranded! The Check-in/out [express] and Check-in/out [private] options sound promising, though.

On-site Restaurants/Lounges: Food, Glorious (and Sometimes Frustrating) Food

Right, let's talk sustenance. Because what's a holiday without a good belly laugh and a plate piled high with deliciousness? The food… okay, it's a mixed bag. The A la carte in restaurant experience was divine, at least at the "higher-end" Greek restaurant. The Buffet in restaurant? Standard hotel buffet fare, but with decent options. Loved the selection of Western cuisine in restaurant options, but could have used a bit more seasoning. And that Happy hour? Essential. Absolutely essential.

  • The Good: The Poolside bar is pure bliss. Cocktails with a view? Yes, please. And they actually make a decent espresso martini (a crucial test for any respectable establishment). The Coffee shop is great for a caffeine hit during the afternoon. The International cuisine in restaurant offered some fun, if predictable, variety.
  • The Not-So-Good: Sometimes, the service felt a little stretched. A slight delay for a drink, a forgotten side order… nothing major, but it added to the "slightly relaxed" pace. And don't even get me started on the sometimes-iffy availability of ice for your cocktails. I'm looking at you, bar staff.
  • The Quirky: The Vegetarian restaurant was small, and a bit hidden away. But, the fact that they have one deserves applause. Also, the "daily specials" were often written on a little chalkboard in Greek. My Greek is… non-existent. So I had to rely on the incredibly patient wait staff.

Cleanliness and Safety: Above Par (Phew!)

This is where Sonio Beach truly shines. Post-Covid, they've clearly gone the extra mile. Professional-grade sanitizing services, Anti-viral cleaning products, rooms Sanitized between stays, Daily disinfection in common areas, and everyone's wearing masks and hand washing is almost obsessive. They take it seriously, which I appreciate. Staff trained in safety protocol is a must. Hand sanitizer is everywhere, and their Hot water linen and laundry washing practice certainly helps. It isn’t just a marketing checklist, I felt truly safe.

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: A Feast for the Senses

Right, back to the important stuff.

  • Drinks: They have a great selection of drinks. The Bar is a pleasant way to spend an evening!
  • The Perks: Bottle of water is provided in rooms. Plus, they do Breakfast [buffet] and Breakfast service, I enjoyed a Coffee/tea in restaurant, and they’ve got a Poolside bar too.
  • The Indulgences: Desserts in restaurant are also quite a tasty treat!

Services and Conveniences: More Than Meets the Eye

They pretty much thought of everything. The Daily housekeeping was impeccable, and I appreciated the Doorman. The Laundry service and Dry cleaning facilities are great for extended stays. The Concierge was invaluable, helping us snag restaurant reservations and organising our excursions. Invoice provided. Luggage storage and Safety deposit boxes too. So it really helps you from feeling anxious. They had several facilities for disabled guests. And there's a Convenience store. Not bad at all.

For the Kids: A Family-Friendly Paradise (Mostly)

While I didn't travel with kids, I saw plenty of families enjoying themselves. The Babysitting service is a plus. It’s a Family/child friendly environment, and they’re probably great at managing them. They had Kids facilities, though I don't know all the details of those.

Things to Do: Relaxation Central with a Sprinkle of Adventure

This is where Sonio Beach really blows you away.

  • Relaxation Reigns: The spa is divine. Seriously. Get the Body scrub, the Body wrap, Sauna, and the Steamroom. I indulged in a Massage, and it was pure bliss. There is a Pool with view, and it is fantastic.
  • Fitness Fanatics Rejoice: There’s a Fitness center, a Gym/fitness, and even a Foot bath. I was there to relax, but it's good to know if you're into it!
  • Get the Camera Ready: There are also Outdoor venue for special events areas/spaces. Proposal spot is an option here too.

Rooms: Comfort and Charm (with a Few Annoyances)

The rooms are lovely. Spacious, clean, and well-appointed. Air conditioning is a must and, thankfully, it worked perfectly. The Bathrobes and Slippers are a nice touch. The Bed was comfortable. The View from my room was breathtaking (especially the sunset). I found a Desk to set up my laptop, I really appreciate the Laptop workspace. The Mini bar was a nice touch, and the Fridge was useful. There was Free bottled water. Coffee/tea maker, and Complimentary tea. Blackout curtains, and Soundproofing made for a good night's sleep. On-demand movies, in case you want some time inside.

  • The Good: Wi-Fi [free] throughout (and it actually worked!), Air conditioning in public area and in rooms.
  • The Grumbles: the shower pressure was a bit feeble, and I wish the bathroom had a little more counter space. The Bathtub was a lovely place to relax.

Getting Around: Easy Peasy

Airport transfer is a must, as I said. Car park [free of charge] and Car park [on-site] are very welcome. Taxi service. Car power charging station.

The "Paradise Found" Verdict: Okay, It's Not Perfect, But It's Close

Look, Sonio Beach isn't flawless. Those little service glitches, the occasionally slow Wi-Fi, the slightly sterile feel in some areas… they're there. But the beauty, the serenity, the stunning views, the incredible spa, and the overall feeling of being pampered make up for most of it.

The Offer You Can't Refuse (and Will Probably Love):

Tired of the same old holiday? Craving sunshine, relaxation, and a touch of Greek magic? Then ditch the boring and book your escape to Sonio Beach: Que Bella Collection!

Here's what you get:

  • Breathtaking Views: Wake up to panoramic views of the Aegean Sea and sunsets that'll make your Instagram followers weep with envy.
  • Ultimate Relaxation: Melt away stress with a massage in the world-class spa, lounge by the infinity pool, or simply soak up the sun on the pristine beach.
  • Culinary Delights (and occasional minor frustrations): Indulge in a range of delicious cuisine, from traditional Greek fare to international flavors. And try to make it to the restaurant at the very top.
  • Unforgettable Experiences: Explore the surrounding area with guided tours, or simply relax, unwind, and let the staff take care of you.
  • Peace of Mind: Enjoy top-notch safety and cleanliness standards.

**Book now and receive a FREE upgrade to a room with a private balcony overlooking the sea! (Limited availability, so don't

Liverpool Street Flat: Your Dream London Pad Awaits!

Book Now

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into my potentially disastrous, definitely delicious adventure at the Que Bella Collection in Sonio Beach, Crete. Forget perfectly curated Instagram feeds, because this is going to be a hot, sun-baked mess of a travel log, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Operation: Cretan Chaos - A (Hopefully) Relaxing Week

Day 1: Arrival and the Great Luggage Debacle (aka, "Why is my sunscreen in the other dimension?")

  • Morning (or, more accurately, "Sometime After I Finally Dragged Myself Out Of That Airport Nap Whoa!"): Touchdown in Heraklion! The air hits you like a warm, salty hug. That's the good news. The bad news? My luggage decided to take a scenic detour to… somewhere. Probably a beach in the Bahamas, judging by its audacity. Cue the frantic, sleep-deprived search for the baggage claim, the blank stares from the airport staff, and the sudden, crushing realization that all my essentials (sunscreen, my favorite hat, the snacks) were currently vacationing without me.
  • Afternoon: Transfer to the Que Bella Collection. The drive is stunning. Mountains plunging into the turquoise sea, olive groves shimmering in the sun. I try to be all "Oh, the beauty!" but honestly, I'm mostly focused on the creeping sunburn I can feel developing without my precious luggage.
  • Late Afternoon: Check-in. The hotel is gorgeous, all whitewashed walls and bougainvillea. The staff is delightful, bless their hearts. They try to comfort me about the luggage (apparently, it’s a common occurrence), but I'm still internally screaming. My room is lovely, though. Pool view, balcony… At least something is going right, right? (Spoiler alert: no). I'm trying to unpack the essentials. The only problem is, I have none.
  • Evening: Cocktail by the pool. They were amazing (and strong!). I'm starting to recover from the luggage trauma. Also, I devoured a plate of olives and feta like my life depended on it. The olives, truly, were a transcendental experience. Maybe luggage isn't that important. I just hope it arrives someday.

Day 2: Beach Bliss (and the Great Sunburn of '24)

  • Morning: The beach! Oh, the beach! The sand is golden, the water is crystal clear and the sun is a vengeful god, apparently. I, in my luggage-less state, decided to embrace the sun. I slathered on the tiny amount of sunscreen I had in my carry-on thinking I'd be fine. I wasn't.
  • Afternoon: After an hour or so of beach bliss, I've turned into a lobster. I head back to my room to assess the damage (and locate aloe vera, another item currently vacationing in oblivion). The burn stings, I’m a mess, and maybe I should have taken the sunscreen more seriously.
  • Late Afternoon: I find a tiny local shop near the hotel that sells aloe vera. It's a miracle! I am now covered in a thick layer of cool, green gel, and I finally feel a little less like I’m currently molting.
  • Evening: Dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food is excellent. I devour a seafood pasta and an extra glass of wine. The sunburn is still a throbbing reminder of my reckless sun-worship, but at least the food is good. Also, the sunset is spectacular. I mean, spectacular. The sky is ablaze with orange and pink, and I almost forgive the sun for its earlier assault. Almost.

Day 3: Exploring (and the Quest for Lost Treasures - aka, More Luggage Updates)

  • Morning: Today is for exploring! Finally, the moment has arrived. There's a beautiful, ancient beach town called Rethymno nearby, so I'm planning to spend the day there.
  • Afternoon: I manage to somehow rent a car – a tiny stick shift that's probably older than me. I get hopelessly lost a handful of times (thank goodness for Google Maps!), but eventually, I make it to Rethymno. It's gorgeous. Narrow, winding streets, Venetian architecture, bustling markets. I wander through the colorful streets of Rethymno and get lost in every shop.
  • Late Afternoon: After more exploring, I find a tiny tavern overlooking the harbor. I order some fresh seafood and beer, watch the boats bob in the water, and feel the first genuine sense of relaxation since I arrived. Then I get a phone call. It's the airline! My luggage might be arriving tomorrow. Maybe. This is where I realize, "This is going to be a long week."
  • Evening: I return and promptly fall asleep at 8 PM, exhausted but happy.

Day 4: Pool Day and Philosophical Musings on the Nature of Swimsuits (and the Lack Thereof)

  • Morning: Decided to skip the sun (for now) and spend the morning by the pool. The water is cool, the sun is warm, and I’m attempting to read a book while simultaneously people-watching. The pool area is lively, families splashing around, couples whispering sweet nothings. I, on the other hand, am pondering the existential question: "Why didn't I pack enough swimsuits?" Because, of course, I am still wearing the same swimsuit I've had for three days..
  • Afternoon: The lack of enough swimsuit is actually a huge problem at this hotel. I'm now convinced that this will be my legacy - a swimsuit that, to me, will always be the one I was wearing when I got the worst sunburn of my life.
  • Late Afternoon: I find a local shop that has swimsuits, which is amazing.
  • Evening: Dinner at a tavern nearby the hotel's area.

Day 5: Diving Deep (and the Emotional Rollercoaster of Snorkeling)

  • Morning: I'm feeling adventurous! I sign up for a snorkeling tour! The water is crystal clear, and there are so many colorful fish that I see.
  • Afternoon: The trip isn't perfect. At one point I swallow a mouthful of seawater. I also get kind of scared by a big, grumpy-looking fish.
  • Late Afternoon: After a shower and some snacks, I feel much better, and begin to wonder if I can buy an underwater camera.
  • Evening: Dinner at the hotel, and I go straight to bed.

Day 6: "The Luggage! The Luggage!" (and the Grand Finale)

  • Morning: The phone rings! My luggage has arrived! I'm overjoyed, I let everyone know the good news. Now I can finally brush my teeth with my own toothbrush, sleep in my own pajamas, and wear… multiple swimsuits, a luxury I can't even fathom.
  • Afternoon: I spend the afternoon doing whatever I want.
  • Evening: Dinner at a local restaurant, and I have the best time in the world. I leave with high hopes for the future.

Day 7: Departure and (Hopefully) Happy Departures

  • Morning: Sleep a little late, pack all my things, and prepare for the journey home.
  • Afternoon: Transfer to the airport. One last walk on the beach.
  • Evening: I'm sad to leave, but happy to have experienced this adventure. The flight home is long, but I am happy. I will definitely return.

Final Thoughts:

Crete, you beautiful, chaotic beast! This trip was a whirlwind of sun, sand, sunburn, and self-discovery. The Que Bella Collection was gorgeous. I will never look at olives the same way again. And luggage? Well, let's just say that's a story for another time.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. (Maybe with a second suitcase next time… and definitely more sunscreen).

This is my honest, messy ode to an amazing adventure. It was perfect and not perfect at the same time.

Uncover the Secrets of La Casa Ramirez: Ilocos Sur's Hidden Gem!

Book Now

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Sonio Beach, Crete: Que Bella Collection - Paradise Found!? (Uh, Mostly)

Okay, let's be honest, the "Paradise Found" tagline... ambitious, right? Sonio Beach, Crete, part of the Que Bella Collection? It's a mixed bag, folks. Prepare for some sun, some sand, and possibly a mild existential crisis over whether you’ve *really* chosen the right lounger. Here's the goss, from me, your slightly sunburnt (and perpetually indecisive) travel companion:

1. So, Is it ACTUALLY Beautiful? (The Big Question!)

Yeah, it’s pretty freaking gorgeous. That crystal-clear water? Stunning. The sand? Fine and soft, perfect for burying your toes (which, by the way, I HIGHLY recommend. It’s a sensory experience, people!). I mean, on a good day (more on that in a bit), you’re staring at turquoise perfection. You know those postcard photos? They're not ALL lies! I swear, the first time I saw it, I might have actually gasped. A very theatrical gasp, mind you, with a dramatic hand to the forehead. Don’t judge me.

2. What’s the Vibe? (Is It My Scene?)

The vibe...right. This is where things get a little… nuanced. It definitely felt more 'exclusive' than 'bohemian'. Think: stylish sunbathers, perfectly posed Instagram shots, and a faint aroma of expensive sunscreen. It’s less "beach party" and more "sophisticated chill." I felt slightly underdressed in my (admittedly slightly faded) floral sundress. My husband, bless his heart, wore his lucky t-shirt with a picture of a sloth on it. He fitted right in so I was wrong! So, if you're aiming for relaxed and possibly a tad snobby, it's a winner. If you’re more of a "sand in your hair, let's find a dodgy beach bar" kind of person, maybe… *maybe* adjust your expectations.

3. Food and Drink – Are We Talking Deliciousness or Disaster?

Okay, the drinks? Pretty amazing. Seriously, those cocktails… dangerous. Deliciously dangerous. Expect to pay a premium, obviously. I had a Mojito that could probably solve world hunger. Food? Meh. It was fine, I guess. Nothing truly mind-blowing, but perfectly acceptable. Think Greek classics with a slightly upscale twist. One day, I swear, I ordered a Greek Salad. It *looked* incredible, but somehow tasted... average. It really deflated me. I actually considered leaving a strongly worded note on the plate. (I didn't. I’m too British for that.)

4. Let's Talk Loungers. (The Struggle is Real!)

Oh, the loungers! The bane of my existence. They’re comfy, I'll grant you that. But the 'getting a lounger' game? It’s a blood sport. I’m talking Olympic-level hustle. You’re up before dawn, armed with towels and a steely determination. Because if you don’t, you’re staring glumly at the sea from a not-so-desirable spot. Once, I saw a woman sprint from her room, already wearing her bikini, just to claim a prime location. I nearly choked on my coffee. The desperation is real, people. Real.

5. Activities? Anything Besides Lounging (and Lounger-Acquisition)?

Yes, thankfully! There's watersports, you can hire a paddleboard, etc. The usual suspects. I actually tried paddleboarding and spectacularly failed. Let's just say I spent more time IN the water than ON the board. My husband found it hilarious. (As he was snorkeling, naturally, avoiding any risk of humiliation.) Plus, there's a little spot where you can get massages on the beach. Which, I must admit, was heavenly. Worth every single, solitary, euro.

6. The Big One: Are the Staff Friendly?

The staff *try*. They aim for attentive, but sometimes it comes across a little… forced. I had a few lovely interactions, but also some moments where I felt like I was being subtly judged. One waiter, I swear, gave me the side-eye when I ordered a second ice cream. (In my defense, it was hot, and the first one disappeared surprisingly fast.) Overall, they were helpful, but not exactly overflowing with warmth and friendliness. Maybe they're just used to a certain... clientele. And maybe that clientele doesn't eat two ice creams per sitting. Who knows?

7. Okay, So What About the Crowds? Because I Hate Crowds.

During peak season? Prepare for… crowds. Lots of them. The beach itself isn’t *enormous*, so it *can* feel a little packed. The morning lounger stampede speaks volumes, doesn't it? Off-season, I imagine, it’s bliss. A quiet, sun-drenched haven. I went in August. Make of that what you will. Next time, I'm going in October. Absolutely. (And I'm bringing two bottles of the Mojito-solver... just in case.)

8. My Biggest Gripe: The Wind.

Oh, the wind. Let me be clear: the wind is a thing. *A big thing.* There were days when the sea was choppy, the sunbeds were blowing away, and my meticulously crafted beach hairstyle was a total disaster. This wasn’t just a gentle breeze, folks. We’re talking gale-force hair-whipping. I spent a good portion of my time fighting to keep my towel from taking flight. One day, my hat actually made a break for it, sailing majestically into the sea. Goodbye, beautiful hat. I barely got to wear you! It was a war! So, pack a hair tie, and prepare for the battle. Seriously. The wind is the ultimate test of your beach-going resolve.

9. Would I Go Again?

Hotelicity

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Sonio Beach - Que Bella Collection Crete Island Greece

Post a Comment for "Crete's Sonio Beach: Que Bella Collection Paradise Found!"